Wednesday, May 23, 2012

TIMN in 20 minutes: a video presentation

Here’s a video that offers an overview about the TIMN framework, its system dynamics, and some future implications. It was filmed at my home in order to enable a presentation about TIMN at recent Highlands Forum meetings, after I demurred about traveling to participate in them.




The presentation proceeds in three segments. Segment One is about how TIMN got started. It provides background and a basic description of TIMN.

Segment Two is about how TIMN works. It relates my sense of TIMN’s system dynamics, emphasizing general propositions that hold across the evolution of all four TIMN forms.

Segment Three is about where TIMN is headed. It focuses on the rise of the network (N) form and prospects that a new sector may develop around it. It reflects recent posts at this blog about Arab Spring and Occupy Wall Street, as well as about Red Toryism, P2P theory, and monitory democracy.

My presentation indicated that there would be a slide about follow-up readings at the end of the video, but it's missing from this somewhat shortened version.  So I'm inserting it here:

There is still much to be discerned and said about all these matters. And I am lagging way behind on my intended arc of postings. Yet, for now, the video provides a good update, and points in the right direction — or so I hope.

I’m very pleased, all things considered, that the video turned out so well. Special thanks to Richard O’Neill (Highlands Forum) for making the video possible, and to Marc Alexander (independent filmmaker) for producing it so appealingly.

4 comments:

eddie/shiqin said...

Thanks for this video. I thought it communicated many of the nuances not entirely clear in the writings on TIMN.

For example, it helped that you clarified your interpretation of "institutions" since sociology and economics have a slightly different understanding of it. Ditto for networks.

I'm wondering now if your other theory if TIMN had something to say about STA. All of the forms of social organizations are necessarily situated in space, time and action - all at different scales.

David Ronfeldt said...

eddie -- good observation about possible ties between TIMN and STA. i provide a preliminary answer in sidebar #2 in a post a while ago about cognitive aspects of occupy and related pro-democracy movements. look for the sidebar and its table here:

http://twotheories.blogspot.com/2011/12/what-occupy-protests-mean-timn_27.html

i hope to say more about this someday, but i'm rather slow right now. -- onward, david

James Hobson said...

David,
Thanks for a truly inspiring video. I've had a few thoughts about TIMN with relation to the UK education system, which I've put on my own blog: http://jimmyhob.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-problems-with-educating-quadriform.html
If you could spare any time to comment I would really appreciate it - perhaps I'm wrong in my interpretations but I believe in 'learning out loud'!
Kind regards,
James

David Ronfeldt said...

many thanks, james. much appreciated. i left follow-up comment at your blog. i like the points you make there about timn.